Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Follow MMOBomb on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mmobomb

Author Topic: My CrossFire Review (Warning: Very long)  (Read 3053 times)

Offline superfame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Level 2
  • 155 BombGold
    • View Profile

• Badges: (View All)
    Level 4 Super Combination Combination
My CrossFire Review (Warning: Very long)
« on: November 22, 2011, 02:01 AM »
Hello everyone and welcome to my review of the game Crossfire. Crossfire is a free-to-play shooter developed by Smilegate. There are many versions of CrossFire but right now I'm going to review the NA/UK version because it's the only one I can play. >.>

When you begin playing Crossfire for the first time, you get 40000 GP, then you have a choice of one of the three main characters in the game which will cost you 5000 GP, leaving you only 35000 GP. A rifle in this game cost from 40000 GP to 50000 GP. The GP/EXP rates are very low in this game and with the weak default weapons you also get in the beginning, your experience won't be very satisfying. As a beginner, you're going to have to grind and grinding in an FPS causes many new players to leave the game immediately.

The game has a lot of GP (this is the money earned from playing matches) weapons for this version of Crossfire. Only two of the GP weapons are considered to be overpowered. The ZP (real money) temporary weapons are very balanced in my opinion. The ZP crate weapons are a gamble and are a waste of money. Basically you buy a bunch of ZP crates for one weapon, you spin them in hopes of getting that one rare, overpowered weapon that crate holds. They also have other, less than desirable weapons, coupons, sprays, and other items that you can win. All-in-all, they're a waste of money. There are also GP crate weapons but I wouldn't advise spending your hard-earned GP on those until later on when you have a ridiculous amount of GP that you don't care about losing (like me).

The game has a ranking system like other games but there aren't a lot of rewards for ranking up. Most of the ranks you reach don't reward that much, but the ones that do are the early ones.

The clan system is there just like in other free-to-play shooters. It's pretty basic and I don't want to go into that.

There are a lot of modes now compared to how many CrossFire had in 2009. There's Team Deathmatch, Search & Destroy, Elimination, Free-For-All, Ghost Mode, Mutation Mode, Hero Mode, and Zombie Mode. They're all fun, but Mutation and Hero modes are too similar to me. There are also a lot of maps but the TDM maps are too simplistic, most of the S&D maps are unbalanced, and the rest are okay.

Now let's get down to the gameplay.

The gameplay is the most disappointing. It feels very slow, awkward movement-wise. When I walk and let go of the walk/strafe keys, I still move one step, as if I was sliding on ice. The hit registry is another problem in this game that will NEVER go away. It's been in the game since closed beta and the developers haven't fixed it and will never fix it. People who have high-end computers don't have a big problem with it, which is bs. I played Counterstrike 1.6 on my laptop numerous times and my shots register more on other players. Counterstrike 1.6 has slightly higher system requirements than Crossfire. >.>

Also, there are many laggers in the game (most of them from Brazil) that tank many shots for days, but somehow are able to shoot you down within seconds. Many of the Brazilians resort to hacking. The hacking occurs in pretty much in every room of every server. Back in April (I think), many North American players left in mass amounts because of it.

I would talk about the community but what I just mentioned about Brazilians sums it up. They are the majority of the Crossfire community. I will add that the competitive community (WOGL players) are a**holes in my opinion. Most are, some aren't.

The game also disconnects a lot, whether it's from a room or just from the whole game.

So how are the graphics?

They're horrible to look at. They physics are worse. I can deal with the graphics but the physics are just bad. The whole game looks dated and WAY behind on technology. Playing on high settings is a must if you want to see what beauty it does offer.

Btw, you don't have a lot of resolutions to choose from.

I will say that the game WAS fun for about a year and half. The hit registry was still an issue and most of the bugs and glitches from closed beta and open beta are still present in the game. However, the game WAS fun.

So what happened?

Brazil.

Not trying to bash on the entire country but the actions of most Brazilians caused many North American and UK players to leave the game. Z8Games, the company that runs Crossfire in North America could have done something about it. They could have IP restricted Brazil. Instead, they purchased a license to set up servers in that country. I'm really skeptical about how effective it will be.

Pros:
  • It's free
  • Ranking system
  • Good amount of guns
  • A lot of modes and maps
Cons:
  • Too many hackers
  • Overpowered crate weapons
  • Laggers
  • Hit registry
  • Most of the map designs are horrid and unoriginal
  • Grinding
  • Not enough resolutions to play on

I score games on the scoring system that X-Play uses.

1. Hated it
2. Alright/I'm only playing it because I'm bored.
3. Good
4. Very Good
5. Near Perfect/Perfect

I give it a 2 out of 5.

P.S. I was so close to giving it a 1 out of 5, because of the frustration I've had with playing the game.

Offline Tazedmonkey

• Level 1
  • 27 BombGold
    • U ain't stalkin me
    • Why in the hell would I have twitter?
    • View Profile

Combination Level 2 Level 1
Re: My CrossFire Review (Warning: Very long)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:34 PM »
I have seen way to many people say crossfire is the best free fps game. That is complete bull. It has horrible graphics, lots of lag, and too many noobs who would kick you for hacking when you get a better score than them. You said it was fun but I would have to disagree after all the things happening like being vote kicked multiple times for having low deaths and allot of kills. Thanks for reviewing it and showing people the crap that crossfire is ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 10:38 PM by Tazedmonkey »

Offline superfame

• Level 2
  • 155 BombGold
    • View Profile

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 10:01 PM »
I have seen way to many people say crossfire is the best free fps game. That is complete bull. It has horrible graphics, lots of lag, and too many noobs who would kick you for hacking when you get a better score than them. You said it was fun but I would have to disagree after all the things happening like being vote kicked multiple times for having low deaths and allot of kills. Thanks for reviewing it and showing people the crap that crossfire is ;D
You're welcome. Also, when I said it was fun, I was referring to the time where the game was fun (2009 and early 2010).

You're also right about how people are giving it too much critical praise. It's a terrible overrated game.

Offline waff1ez

• Level 1
  • 36 BombGold
    • View Profile

Combination Level 2 Level 1
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:47 AM »
If youre gonna play this game, you might as well play PB. Better graphics, pretty much same gameplay, and there are less hackers in PB (imo)

Offline seawog

• Level 3
  • 234 BombGold
    • View Profile

Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:14 PM »
I don't think we'll ever find a game with no hackers. it's just not possible. people who spend more time hacking then actually playing the games ruin it for us all.

Offline Jmalukao

• Level 1
  • 26 BombGold
    • View Profile

Level 1 First Post Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 11:47 AM »
cool, will help me a lot!

Offline superfame

• Level 2
  • 155 BombGold
    • View Profile

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 11:06 PM »
If youre gonna play this game, you might as well play PB. Better graphics, pretty much same gameplay, and there are less hackers in PB (imo)
I really didn't want to necro bump this thread but I have to say something about that. All I have to say that PB is just too easy to play. The guns don't have any recoil and the cash shop weapons are the worst. It's a pretty easy, yet unbalanced game. They really want you to spend money on it to have a good time. I rather play Crossfire than play PB because I never enjoyed PB very much. That Dino Mode was the final thing they added that made me lose all respect for the game.

Offline cody4590

• Level 1
  • 33 BombGold
    • View Profile

Windows User Level 1 First Post
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 04:45 AM »
thin only thing you did was pub it out you never got into crossfire where all the pro guys were right now crossfire is trying to build up and i am trying to help them buy getting more players to play there are coming out with leagues with anti cheats and rule settings where you only are able to play with that gun in that tournament league. it isnt a bad game at all its the people who play it that makes it a bad game because they dont know how to play it, they never report a hacker if they see one that is why there are still some to this day there isnt alot like they use to have only every now and thin.