Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Follow MMOBomb on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mmobomb

Author Topic: Best of... 2015 NOMINATIONS  (Read 1818 times)

Offline QuintLyn

• Global Moderator
  • Level 2
  • BombGold
    • @quintlyn
    • View Profile
Best of... 2015 NOMINATIONS
« on: December 15, 2015, 08:06 AM »
Hey guys. Bet you thought I'd bailed on you. Right? :D Nope. Just had some slight technical difficulties. Now, a new motherboard, case, and (thanks to Windows' latest update) WiFi adapter later, I'm back up and running. It just took a few weeks to get straightened out and by then I had a ton of work to get caught up on.

Anyway! With those issues, we weren't really able to do the "Best of..." thing the way I'd hoped. Instead, I've gone ahead and compiled a list of categories (with the help of suggestions from Merkadis). So here's what I want you to do...

READ THIS FIRST

Copy/pasta the following list into your replies. Then list 1 and only 1 game for each category. (All games need to be F2P.) If you think I missed a category, you are welcome to add it... but again. One game per.

We'll let this thread run until next Monday so you all get a chance to nominate your games. After that, I'll go through and create polls, allowing everyone to vote. You'll get about a week for that as well, after which I'll compile the post.  The final post will list 1st, 2nd, and third place for each category.

This will also give any of you who feel the need to do so to edit your posts -- like say if someone comes up with a category that wasn't already on the list and you'd like to nominate for it.

(I won't be nominating because I want this to be YOUR list.)

F2P Game Of The Year (Any genre):
Best MMO:
BEST MMORPG:
Best MOBA:
Best ARPG:
Best Team Shooter:
Best New Expansion:
Best In-Game Events (Holidays and such):
Best Broswer-Based Game:
Best F2P Transition:
Best Cash Shop:
Best Developer:
Best Graphics:

I'll be checking in on this throughout the week, so if you add a new category to your list, do so at the bottom so I can see it and add it up here.

That's it! Start nominating and we'll see who you guys think is best.

"Never cruel or cowardly. Never give up, never give in."
"I'm more of a puckish rouge."

Offline Merkadis

• Level 5
  • BombGold
  • Contact me via forums pm system.
    • uthenera
    • View Profile
Re: Best of... 2015 NOMINATIONS
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 08:34 AM »
Hrm... mostly junk this year too, i don't even know what to recommend so i mostly wont.
Here is what i will say:

F2P Game Of The Year (Any genre): ELOA - Pretty much the only mmo that offers something fresh this year, and it's not even a new game. But, overall the game is bad. It's only redeeming qualities.. are 2, the party skills and the 3 stance system. I guess i can add here the fact that the combat is fast enough to be called action, a plus too.

Best MMORPG: Likely to be Tree of Savior, pretty much the only game i have seen in years that is actually being inventive. Not "copy this, change it a bit, and call it a day" inventive, but inventive for real, from ground zero.
I don't like recommending something i did not play though so this won't go to game of the year for now, it's not even released in the west and eu yet.
Best In-Game Events (Holidays and such): WildStar did a great job i think.
Best F2P Transition: This year likely WildStar.
Best Cash Shop: Likely Skyforge, the only cash shop i remember there being the optional subscription.. simply outstanding.
Best Developer: Hard choice, likely En Masse or Grinding Gear Games.  Pick whichever you like, i can't quite pick one myself.
Rest of the devs this year did not do anything truly worthwhile for me to notice any of them, that's a pity.

Also i think this kind of stuff should go to front page, it won't get enough exposure in here.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:56 AM by Merkadis »
Games i recommend and stuff: CLICK ME
-
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his or her experience as being impossible.
-
Dif-tor heh smusma.
-

Offline QuintLyn

• Global Moderator
  • Level 2
  • BombGold
    • @quintlyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 12:16 PM »
Okay. I'm gonna give you guys a couple extra days on this. I know the site being a bit hinky this month has kind of messed with your forum activity. So we'll go to Wednesday.

Offline Merkadis

• Level 5
  • BombGold
  • Contact me via forums pm system.
    • uthenera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 03:18 PM »
Okay. I'm gonna give you guys a couple extra days on this. I know the site being a bit hinky this month has kind of messed with your forum activity. So we'll go to Wednesday.

Like i'm sayin' this goes to front page or not at all. :D
This forum is full of dead fish that trade all day or just read all day. xD
Or ask you "gAiZ recommend me something to plAy".
Buhuhu, never get's old that last one.
Games i recommend and stuff: CLICK ME
-
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his or her experience as being impossible.
-
Dif-tor heh smusma.
-

Offline Flevalt

• Level 5
  • BombGold
  • Mercy only exists among friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 07:04 AM »
The heck is this one saying? Nobody will come to write on this thread. You are misinterpreting the situation. Take, for example, Merkadis. When you read what he writes you merely see his complaints as a reaction out of frustration with the site, but effectively, he tries to convey information. In an overly unnecessary melodramatic way, but still so.
MMOBomb used to run on it's shows and giveaways more than anything and it had a small core of people actively participating in the forums (the forum was - technically - as "simple" as it is now, back then).
At some point Spunkify, and with him the portion of the MMOHut community which were fans of Spunkify swept over and Magicman, the face of the show at MMOBomb "coincidentally" left.
The very niche but nice place had been overrun by WoW-kiddies and the likes ever since then. Which was good for MMOBomb as a popularity boost, but it also couldn't work out for long.
MMOBomb which had catered to nerdy MMO gamers of all kinds before had suddenly been left in a contradictory state and undergone changes in that manner for years now, where - together with spunk - it now tried to be a site catering towards the kids: with eye candy hosts, always keen on reporting about the newest fads etc.
And a mass of gullible people together with lenient rules attracted a mass of other kinds. This in turn led to MMOBomb becoming a place used for scamming, advertising and shitposting.
Needless to say, of the older members only those who are not in their right minds (i.e. Zenrix) still kept around until now.
At some point Magicman returned and Spunkify, and with him a lot of people, left the site. MMOBomb just kept trying to do their thing now but what was our thing again? And who are we even catering towards now? Who is left?
The majority of people left for MMOBomb from there onwards were those that don't like to step into the spotlight, unlike i.e. me, which includes those who just like to watch/lurk for any news and those who use this place for scams/ads.
Tbh, whenever I visit this site I feel like catching a villain custome by now because of all the actively aggressive posts I had to post in order to play the role of the evil guy properly.
And now, here we are. The site still stands with managable traffic.
It concentrates on it's shows and giveaways again. The forum has - thanks to the staff - gotten rid of the bot infestation. The shady folks are still around cause they have taken a liking to how lenient this site is handled.
The forum is in a reconstructional state now. Which means it starts from point 0 all over. Once in a while you will see people registering to ask a question or two, the trade and guild sections are active cause ad/scam/trade. But the site has no/little active core community left.
I could have written a text like this the moment Spunkify came over cause I knew events would occur in this exact order, but I didn't want to ruin the moment when MMOBomb got the chance to become something greater.
----------------------
Now to this topic.

I'm kind of oldschool. I still like to play my games, not use them as a graphical overlay for a chat room. Therefore I can't really properly judge MMORPG's. I would go with this, though:

F2P Game Of The Year (Any genre): Tetris (I think that is the only game everyone can agree on is a masterwork. And it quite literally gave me more hours of fun this year than any of the new games)
Best MMO: Phantasy Star Online 2 (JP)
BEST MMORPG: Blade & Soul
Best MOBA: Smite (don't get me wrong, LoL and DotA are better games but LoL is full of capitalistic kiddos/extremists and DotA full of communist kiddos/extremists. In Smite you can [not always but] more often focus on the game than on having to deal with people's in-game feuds)
Best Broswer-Based Game: Town of Salem
Best F2P Transition: Wildstar

That is all I have to say to the 2015 MMO-drought.

Communism is where everyone shares the same wealth - which is none.

Capitalism is where those who produce least costs have everything - and the least costs are produced by a thief.

Offline Adrian87

• Level 5
  • BombGold
    • Adrian87
    • Adrian87bv
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 10:36 AM »
I used to go nuts and try everything i could get my eyes on, but now i barely try anything new, so if all the categories refer only to games launched/open beta/switched to f2p in 2015 is not much i can think of:

F2P Game Of The Year (Any genre): Guild Wars 2
Best MMO: Guild Wars 2
BEST MMORPG: Guild Wars 2
Best MOBA: Sins of a Dark Age (RIP SoDA and Dawngate)
Best ARPG: Metal Reaper Online
Best Team Shooter: Armored Warfare
Best New Expansion: Warframe
Best In-Game Events (Holidays and such): Guild Wars 2
Best Broswer-Based Game: none
Best F2P Transition: Guild Wars 2
Best Cash Shop: Guild Wars 2
Best Developer: Digital Extremes
Best Graphics: Guild Wars 2

if this it's an all time survey:

F2P Game Of The Year (Any genre): Guild Wars 2
Best MMO: Firefall (yes, i said Firefall)
BEST MMORPG: Guild Wars 2
Best MOBA: League of Legends
Best ARPG: Path of Exile
Best Team Shooter: Warframe, Savage 2
Best New Expansion: Warframe
Best In-Game Events (Holidays and such): Guild Wars 2
Best F2P Transition: Guild Wars 2
Best Cash Shop: Path of Exile
Best Developer: Grinding Gear Games
Best Graphics: Guild Wars 2
(Not affiliated, just a fan)
Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure:

Site
Steam
Trailer

Offline uvi

• Level 5
  • BombGold
  • LoL Addict
    • uviation
    • Uvi Ation Youtube
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 10:56 AM »
F2P Game Of The Year (Any genre): League of Legends
Best MMO: None
BEST MMORPG: None
Best MOBA: LEAGUE OF LEGENDS!
Best ARPG: Path of Exile
Best Team Shooter: Paladins
Best New Expansion: League Pre Season 6
Best In-Game Events (Holidays and such): League of Legends Snowdown
Best Broswer-Based Game: Freefall
Best F2P Transition: Wildstar
Best Cash Shop: Tera
Best Developer: RIOT Games
Best Graphics: Tera
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:00 AM by Tatsumii »

Offline QuintLyn

• Global Moderator
  • Level 2
  • BombGold
    • @quintlyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 06:49 AM »
This is actually a pretty decent start. :) If nothing else it tells me about your tastes as gamers. It's always cool to see just how different people's tastes can be, even in the same community.

Offline smariusx2014

• Level 1
  • BombGold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 07:06 AM »
F2P Game Of The Year (Any genre):Tera
Best MMO: 9 Dragons
BEST MMORPG: Tera
Best MOBA:Heroes of The Storm
Best ARPG:Path of Exile
Best Team Shooter:Team Fortress 2
Best New Expansion:Tera Brawler Expansion
Best In-Game Events (Holidays and such):Tera
Best Broswer-Based Game:Godus
Best F2P Transition:Tera
Best Cash Shop:Tera
Best Developer:Bluehole
Best Graphics:Tera

Offline -GG- TheSecondJoker

• Level 4
  • BombGold
  • R.I.P. Gameglobe for the second time. 18/09/2015
    • TheSecondJoker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 07:19 AM »
My opinion from what I liked..
F2P Game Of The Year (Any genre): Don't really know. I've forgotten how f2p games are and because of that I think I'd go with Wildstar. I think it's a great game. I really loved the first few hours in Skyforge but I really couldn't grind more. It made me feel fed up and so I choose WS.

Best MMO: Same. Shame on you..
Best MMORPG: Guild Wars 2 could compete with WS but I am not so sure..
Best MOBA: Smite. Enough said.
Best ARPG: Oh do these f2p ARPGs still exist?
Best Team Shooter: TF2.. All time classic
Best F2P Transition: WildStar.
Best Graphics: I'd go with Skyforge or maybe Warframe but count this as SF.

EDIT!!: Oh and Best Browser-based game (if it hadn't been shut down): GameGlobe

Offline EnterMurmillo

• Level 2
  • BombGold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 08:12 AM »
Does a game need to be released in order for it to be eligible for nomination? If so, let me know and I'll edit my list.

F2P Game Of The Year (Any genre): Duelyst
Best MMO: Blade & Soul
BEST MMORPG: Blade & Soul
Best MOBA: Heroes of the Storm
Best Developer: Counterplay Games (Duelyst)
Best Graphics: Duelyst

Now, I admit, nominating Duelyst for Best Graphics might seem biased, and honestly, I am biased. I do know that pixel graphics aren't nearly for everyone, but this game kind of flies under the radar most of the time, so I decided to choose it over Blade & Soul just to give it a chance of having a bit more publicity.

As for a category that could be included - how about "Biggest Pay to Win"? Sure, a game winning that category would be a negative thing, but people do love to hate. It could also serve as a cautionary tale of sorts. Now, I haven't given this much thought, so it might be a terrible idea. I mean, it is calling out a game/development team which is certainly not nice...

Any thoughts?

Offline AShoppingCartGLX

• Level 2
  • BombGold
    • AShoppingCartGLX
    • @ShoppingCartGLX
    • AShoppingCartGLX Youtube
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 08:55 PM »
Yeah I say they have to be "Fully released" by Dec. 1st 2015 . Besides none of them are deserving of any award.
GOY, Best Sound, Best Graphics 1: ArcheAge or 2: Savarium
Seeing they were only one to look complete.

Titleswould go to Escape From Tarkov(Disqualified) but that is in Pre-Alpha and its goguarantee to be F2P I think. By just watching game-play trailer it takes them all hands down. Personally I would disqualify E.F.T just shows that 2016 looks like it will be much better for all gaming.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:57 PM by AShoppingCartGLX »

Offline Puppetface

• Level 3
  • BombGold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 11:40 PM »
F2P Game Of The Year (Any genre): Wildstar - is just frankly beautiful with its clean transition to the F2p model and geometric combat as well as its unique artstyle. 

Best MMO:No Comment.

BEST MMORPG: Blade and soul - Honestly would love to say Blade and soul, but it's currently closed beta test in NA and not even out till next year January pretty sure this at-least shouldn't count for the 2015, but it was pretty damn amazing in CBT.

Best MOBA: Heroes of the Storm- I've played basically every single moba, and really it all depends on what you like, the reason why i suggest Heroes of the Storm is because they are pushing the boundaries, for example Cho'gall a new hero that take TWO people to play.

Best ARPG: Dungeon Fighter Online - Risen from the grave by the original devs(Neople) after Nexon crashed it into the ground burning and smoldering, it's highly addictive and the pvp has a huge skill cap.

Best Team Shooter: DirtyBomb - A hard one for me, being this game is run by Nexon i have a problem with it naturally, but it's honestly one of the better F2p objective control team based shooter currently out.

Best New Expansion: Warframe - i typically hate any F2p story, the majority of them are uninteresting and silly, but this game's new update basically explains the history of the Tenno(you) and what you exactly are, it's amazing to play though and it'll enthrall you into the story and game for the next few days after playing the update.

Best In-Game Events (Holidays and such): No Commet

Best F2P Transition: Wildstar - GuildWars2 is a close runner up i feel, but the restrictions on the levels can get abit annoying for a new player as opposed to a new player starting up Wildstar.

Best Cash Shop: Wildstar- Every time you spent money you basically unlocked milestones that could potentially perma unlock premium features for your account.

Best Developer: No Comment.

Best Graphics: Archeage - Play the game and tell me the huge open world, the textures on your pets, armor and ship and the beautiful water don't make you want to become the best pirate there ever was!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 11:52 PM by Puppetface »
What gets broken without being held? - A Promise

Offline Magicman

• Global Moderator
  • Level 2
  • BombGold
    • @magickmann1 Youtube
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 04:46 PM »
As promised, front page :) Thank you all so very much for your votes and stay tuned for the next "MMOBomb Forum Community" post!

http://www.mmobomb.com/mmobomb-forum-communitys-best-2015/

-Magicman

Offline Mewtwo

• Level 4
  • BombGold
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 07:01 PM »
Well... this "Community Best of 2015" is... bleh... 3 of them not really filled in, and some of them just won by like 1 vote. Like Wildstar won F2P Game of the Year by a half vote (1 person wasn't really sure so they just put it, and the other 1 was sure).

Especially when there was only 9 votes to this thing... xD I would've voted but I kind of gave up going back on the forum after all the technical difficulties and when the forum started slowly dying.