Who says you can’t teach an old MMORPG new tricks? After nearly two decades of operation, Broadsword Games will be introducing a free-to-play option for Dark Age of Camelot, the granddaddy of realm-vs.-realm combat, in late 2018.

The news is tucked away in the most recent DAoC producer’s letter, where Producer John Thornhill dubs it Dark Age of Camelot: Endless Conquest. With this new kind of account, you can play up to level 50 on a limited selection of classes, participate in RvR, and earn Master Levels, Champion Levels, and Realm Rank.

There are catches, of course, and these are spelled out in the FAQ. Endless Conquest accounts must be new (though Broadsword is looking into ways to allow previously subscribed accounts to take advantage) and can only have one character, while XP, bounty point, coin, and realm point gain are “significantly reduced and/or throttled.” Other limitations include standard “free account” restrictions, such as on chat, trading, and housing.

It’s a pretty bold move for a veteran game, but Broadsword Games has a while to figure it all out. Though the announcement’s being made in the waning days of 2017, Thornhill says the move won’t happen until fall 2018. After all, it takes a while to muster an army for war.

the author

Jason Winter is a veteran gaming journalist, he brings a wide range of experience to MMOBomb, including two years with Beckett Media where he served as the editor of the leading gaming magazine Massive Online Gamer. He has also written professionally for several gaming websites.

3 Readers Commented

Join discussion
  1. Hellsworth on December 25, 2017

    Too old… Too little…too many constraints…too late???

    • Virgil on December 26, 2017

      yep shut this shit down asp coz… its dead!

  2. Weilan on December 21, 2017

    I have only briefly played the game and I think it’s too old school, not many people will be interested in this type of game IMO.

HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY?