You Can Now Permanently Remove Games From Your Steam Library

Jason Winter
By Jason Winter, News Editor

Steam Delete

So there's that free-to-play game you downloaded on Steam, played for a few months and... well, that was back in 2013. You really don't plan on ever playing it again, but there it is, taking up real estate in your Games library, and there's nothing you can do about it. You can uninstall it, but it still lingers like a ghost, waiting to be re-installed.

No more! You can now quickly and easily delete any Steam game -- free-to-play or not -- from your library permanently. Just go to Help, then Steam Support, then Games, Software, etc. to find the title you want to remove. Select the game and then "I want to permanently remove this game from my account." And poof! It's gone.

I specifically call this to attention for free-to-play games because, if you have a change of heart and want to go back, there's nothing lost. I tried deleting a paid game that was a joke gift a few years back that I really didn't want any more, and it appeared to be completely gone; if I wanted to pick it up again, I'd have to re-purchase it. So be careful what you remove.

(Hat tip to PCGamer for the tip!)

In this article: Steam, Valve.

Jason Winter
Jason Winter, News Editor
Jason Winter is a veteran gaming journalist, he brings a wide range of experience to MMOBomb, including two years with Beckett Media where he served as the editor of the leading gaming magazine Massive Online Gamer. He has also written professionally for several gaming websites.

ASA 6 years ago
As long as this feature is available I'll use steam otherwise I'll have to investigate games before I buy them because certain ones I can't stand needs to stay out of my library but I wanna try out. Or if the free 2 play ones are at least removed from the library and not the paid to buy games I'll still use it.

TacoMendez 7 years ago
So now if a hacker gets a hold of your account somehow (there will always be a way) bye bye everything.

Cloak187 7 years ago
Now if they get the refund policy right and stop adding every crappy game that's in pre-alpha made by terrible development team's trying to suck every penny out of your wallet.

BanBonBop 7 years ago
Well leave it to steam to now capitalize on their idiots. Oh you spent $60 dollars for that game and decided to permanently remove it ? Well just for you I will offer you that same game for $60 again at no extra cost to you...!@!

rickshaw 7 years ago
Another Steam money grab from loss or mistake.

Lagwin1980 7 years ago
Meh, and this'll be funny...guarantee some numpty will manage to wipe his account and be crying about it soon

70calories 7 years ago
oh thank god... I wonder if it works on paid games cause I have a few I've wasted money on and just wish not to look at anymore.

LotRO's Update 17.1 To Include Level 95 Boost, In-Home Crafting Stations

LotRO's Update 17.1 To Include Level 95 Boost, In-Home Crafting Stations

Update 17.1 for The Lord of the Rings Online is only in testing right now.

By Jason Winter - 7 years ago

Go Figure, Someone’s Leaked The Final Phase Of FFXIV's The Omega Protocol Ultimate

The World’s First Race just got a lot faster.

Activision Blizzard Paying $35 Million To SEC To Settle Disclosure Controls And Whistleblower Complaint

The fine is for “failing to maintain disclosure controls” and “violating whistleblower protection rule”.

Gundam Evolution Season 3 Is Live Now, Welcome The New Hyperion Gundam

Gundam Evolution Season 3 Is Live Now, Welcome The New Hyperion Gundam

The third season will end on April 5.

Terror Reigns From The Skies In Season 3 Of The Cycle: Frontier

Terror Reigns From The Skies In Season 3 Of The Cycle: Frontier

The new Howler monster can fly, and it's terrifying!

By Troy Blackburn - 3 days ago
Get A Look At New Strand Exotic Loot Coming In Destiny 2's Lightfall Next Month

Get A Look At New Strand Exotic Loot Coming In Destiny 2's Lightfall Next Month

Oh what a tangled web of strand we weave...

By Michael Byrne - 5 days ago
RUMOR: Insider Believes Rumbleverse Will Reportedly Shut Down At The End Of February

Take a hefty grain of salt with this one.

By Anthony Jones - 6 days ago