Club Penguin Shuts Down Today

Jason Winter
By Jason Winter, News Editor March 29, 2017

Club Penguin

It's not our usual fare, but we've at least paid nominal attention to Club Penguin through the years -- if not on the website, then in our personal lives. Magicman's kids played around on it, and I had to cover it for a magazine. I swear, I just played the minigames for research purposes ...

We won't be paying attention to it for much longer, though -- at least on PC. After nearly a dozen years, Disney is shutting down the free-to-play gaming site at midnight PDT tonight. But that ending is also the precursor to a new beginning -- namely, a new mobile game called Club Penguin Island.

It's always a little sad when a long-running game shuts down, even if it's something you may have outgrown years ago. If you're feeling nostalgic, check out the Club Penguin website and some of the game's memorials, posted by the staff members. Do you have any fond Club Penguin memories that you'd like to share?

In this article: Club Penguin, Disney.

Jason Winter
Jason Winter, News Editor
Jason Winter is a veteran gaming journalist, he brings a wide range of experience to MMOBomb, including two years with Beckett Media where he served as the editor of the leading gaming magazine Massive Online Gamer. He has also written professionally for several gaming websites.

Clubpenguin Island Sucks 4 years ago
Clubpenguin Island Sucks. I tried this game for a while and wanted to review it. But the original clubpenguin browser game was better. Clubpenguin Island feels like a downgraded version of the original clubpenguin game. If you want to play clubpenguin island you better have a credit card otherwise you better go find another game to play. But one thing I do hate is that I can't play clubpenguin island on my computer. I'd love to play it on my computer I hate that clubpenguin island is for mobile devices only.

Clubpenguin Island Sucks 4 years ago
After trying this game for a bit I wanted to review it. The game is horrible. It felt like a downgraded version of the browser version of Club Penguin. If you want to even have fun on Club Penguin Island be sure to have a credit card otherwise you better find another game to play.

furry fury 5 years ago
It was a game? i thought it was a advertisement for a product.

Clubpenguin Island Sucks 5 years ago
I tried clubpenguin Island and it's not that great. I will remember clubpenguin for the good times it had.

That Guy 5 years ago
I once became a moderator and I embraced 4chan by banning a bunch of random people that were around me. Good times.

Paul Cain 5 years ago
ok midnight????????? srssly?

Iron Galaxy Launches Free-To-Play Brawler Royale Rumbleverse

Iron Galaxy Launches Free-To-Play Brawler Royale Rumbleverse

The game is available on Xbox, PlayStation, and the Epic Games Store.

League Of Legends’ Udyr The Spirt Walker Rework Revealed In Latest Trailer

League Of Legends’ Udyr The Spirt Walker Rework Revealed In Latest Trailer

“Breath in the wild with the strength of the Bear.”

NCSoft Q2 2022: Financial Report Reveals Drop In Revenue, Mobile Titles Decline, And Throne And Liberty Is Delayed

Guild Wars 2 seems to be doing really well, though!

By Anthony Jones - 2 days ago
Star Trek Online’s “No Win Scenarios” Event Puts Players To The Test

Star Trek Online’s “No Win Scenarios” Event Puts Players To The Test

This isn’t just the Kobayashi Maru.

Behavior Interactive Showcase Confirms Dead By Daylight/Resident Evil

Behavior Interactive Showcase Confirms Dead By Daylight/Resident Evil

The dating sim has arrived too.

After A Delay, New World's "Barnacles & Black Powder" Expedition Introduces New Mutation Set And Game Fixes

After a short delay, fans can now experience the latest Expedition.

By Anthony Jones - 5 days ago