Dead Island: Epidemic Shutting Down Oct. 15

Jason Winter
By Jason Winter, News Editor September 17, 2015

dead-island-epidemic-11

About a year and a half ago, Spunkify and I did what I swear was a BombLive for Deep Silver's Dead Island: Epidemic, the self-proclaimed "ZOMBA" (Zombie Battle Arena) by Deep Silver. I can't seem to find that video on the site or on YouTube, but here's the First Look if you've forgotten what it was about. Strangely, I actually kinda liked it, and it was something I always poked into every few months to see how it was coming along.

I say "was" and "liked" because Deep Silver announced earlier this week that the game, still in beta, would be shut down on Oct. 15. In the meantime, Deep Silver will heavily discount characters and boosts to give you something to spend your currency on. There's no talk of any refunds being offered.

Back in July, Deep Silver severed ties with Dreadnought maker Yager, which was developing Dead Island 2, so perhaps there needed to be a shuffling of resources and DI:E got caught in the crossfire. It's too bad, because I thought Dead Island: Epidemic did some clever and unique things to shake up the standard MOBA gameplay, from its setting to crafting to three-team battles. It might have just been a little too niche to, well, survive.

Jason Winter
Jason Winter, News Editor
Jason Winter is a veteran gaming journalist, he brings a wide range of experience to MMOBomb, including two years with Beckett Media where he served as the editor of the leading gaming magazine Massive Online Gamer. He has also written professionally for several gaming websites.

rottorxxooo 6 years ago
Piece of shit died. So noone cares. I hope there are more trash games like this that gonna die soon. Stop making shit games. I hope they learnd there lesson wasted money wasted time.......

Bic Boi 6 years ago
Back to the grave with it. It was quite shite to be honest.

Skankinpig 6 years ago
It's a shame, they really ought to have focussed more heavily on the coop / PvE part of the game which by their own admittance they didn't understand the popularity of.
I was once going to get in on the closed beta testers team and speaking to the guy who contacted me about it (who did so because of a review i left + feed back on forums etc) he didn't seem to understand the allure of the PvE which seemed to echo the actual developers thoughts. It's a shame, they should have focused on that / X-hero style gameplay (from another WC3 mod) than the moba part, which always suffered from having 3 teams as opposed to an equal number.

GamingMaster 6 years ago
Well 0 players online and no one ever played pvp and the heroes where so expensive you would rather pay money to unlock them.

I uninstalled after 1 hour of playing it and also this piece of garbage will not be missed...

RenzaiKOENN 6 years ago
| |、\
| 丿 \ ⌒)
| | ) /
`ノ ) Lノ
(_/

Sol 6 years ago
I never got latched onto this one. I avoided the MOBA parts like the plague, maybe that's why.

-GG-TheSecondJoker 6 years ago
I didn't really like it. It just didn't run well even with recommended requirements and kinda seemed boring.

Mykal Quinn 6 years ago
I thought the game was very good, except for the giant paywall that halted progression for F2P players. I would have spent money on it too if it wasn't over $20 to purchase anything.

fab 6 years ago
| |、\
| 丿 \ ⌒)
| | ) /
`ノ ) Lノ
(_/

NGoHT 6 years ago
Very very boring game, not surprised.

Player1 6 years ago
that happens when you create lots of characters just to block them all

Todoran 6 years ago
1 more moba bites the dust.... hmmm YAY!?

Jafarson 6 years ago
i like this game, game idea and graphic is really nice... but it seems abandoned so i stopped playing it .... now i see why

World Of Warcraft’s 9.1.5 Update Launches November 2

World Of Warcraft’s 9.1.5 Update Launches November 2

And it’s bringing the Mage Tower back with it.

By QuintLyn Bowers - 15 hours ago
Elyon Gameplay - First Look HD (F2P)

Elyon Gameplay - First Look HD (F2P)

Some cool systems that could end up being buried under a grind.

By Michael Byrne - 1 day ago
Standing Stone Offers Dozens Of DDO Quests For Free

Standing Stone Offers Dozens Of DDO Quests For Free

LotRO quests are also free.

By Jason Winter - 1 week ago
California's DFEH Files Motion Against the EEOC's $18 Million Settlement With Activision Blizzard

Claims "irreparable harm will occur" if payment proceeds.

By Jason Winter - 2 weeks ago
Ubisoft Announces F2P Battle Royale Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Frontline

Ubisoft Announces F2P Battle Royale Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Frontline

Fan reaction is a warzone.

By Jason Winter - 2 weeks ago
Another War Thunder Player Leaks Classified Military Info On Forums

Another War Thunder Player Leaks Classified Military Info On Forums

Great way to tank your military career.

By Jason Winter - 1 week ago