Kingdom Hearts Gets Free-to-Play Treatment

Michael Dunaway
By Michael Dunaway, News Editor February 21, 2013

I should have known that in an effort to further slice the Kingdom Hearts series into increasingly obscure spin offs, someone would have eventually thought to make a Free-to-Play Kingdom Hearts game. Low and behold the announcement of Kingdom Hearts X (pronounced chi) has shown us that someone has indeed ventured down that path.

Those of you hoping for a game with combat similar to the Playstation 2 or recent PSP title are unfortunately out of luck. According to a blog post on the official Japanese Square Enix site, the new game will be browser based and appears to use some form of the card combat system found in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. The post talks about players using strategic battle cards acquired in game in order to confront enemies.

If you happen to pre-order Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix (what a complicated name for a game), you will be awarded some in-game items for Kingdom Hearts X including a Sora (R+) card, 20,000 munny and 4,000 draw points. The cards are obviously used in battle while munny is used to synthesize cards and draw points can be traded in for new cards. The game itself is being developed by Success Corporation, whose previous titles include Operation Darkness, Metal Saga, and Tokyo Beat Down. I keep telling myself one of these days they will actually announce Kingdom Hearts 3. One of these days...

Thanks Siliconera for the news.

In this article: Kingdom Hearts X.

Michael Dunaway
Michael Dunaway, News Editor
Michael Dunaway has been part of the MMOBomb team for years and has covered practically every major Free-to-Play title since 2009.

Xemnas 8 years ago
Namelessguy a Kingdom hearts MOBA would be pretty cool if done correctly, I'm talking Organization XIII as playable characters, but not crappy like in days, and sora, riku, kairi, terra aqua ventus and all of the xehanorts as well as heartless and nobody bosses like twilight thorn ( smaller obviously) and darkside( same)

blade breaker 8 years ago
i played re:com and i liked it. but i perfer the combat style of kh2 or kh:bbs. multi-blade wielding fits the need for sora's fight against stronger and stronger heartless and nobodies. he seems to gain new abilities when and loses them when he don't(well don't that seem familiar).

p.s.: even on easy mode i still can't beat seforoth

xiondgm 8 years ago
Besides graphics, game storyline is very important. I don't want to play games like a machine. Age of Wushu is different. It has unique sandbox gameplay system.

anip 8 years ago
Wait... what?

Is this going to be another "Camon Hero" thing where 50%+ of gameplay is based around cards?

xcr00k3dx 8 years ago
I haven't really played the other KH games, but I played the SHIT out of CoM. I loved the combat system, it was fresh & unique.
If they pull it off, you can bet that I'll be playing it.

CoolCat 8 years ago
Lame, I will rather wait for a console based game instead of a browser based with probally crappy graphics

Mystika 8 years ago
If it's the card based system from CoM, then it's most likely NOT going to be along the lines of a trading card game. People are jumping to conclusions just because they saw the word "card"...in fact I have a feeling most people here have never played CoM.

My reservations however are due to the fact that this is SE's first attempt at a F2P MMO (if you don't count the FFXIV fiasco).

peacefull53 8 years ago
omg.......... ITS KINGDOM HEARTS!!! YES!! I'VE BEEN DAYDREAMING (long... time ago) THIS!!!! but i would like if the battle system is like Dragon Nest ._. but i kinda like battle card system

Alothil 8 years ago
i got really happy ._. then i read about it an went what the hell are they doin to my game D:<

ZhaoYun 8 years ago
This is how it was for me

First i read Kingdom Hearts goes f2p and i am like WOHOO NIIIIICE

then i read the article mentioning its card game and i was like "oh well too bad another p2w mmo"
i mean i really hope it wont be p2w but most card f2p mmos i've played so far(1 of em is yugioh for example)are p2w and i really dont like card games anymore just cause of the "p2w' factor in them but we will see what happens with this one

rentherose 8 years ago
am i the only one how jest went *sigh* and moved on.

Ero-Shinigami 8 years ago
Trying really hard to not jump into precipitated conclusions but the last years of the mmo market keeps yelling in my ear "And they find another way to ruin a promising idea for a mmo by using means where they will be able to loot the pockets of retards who just want to win".

Vieric 8 years ago
A free to play, card based, browser MMO? if this ends up not being p2w at least slightly I will be very surprised for lack of better wording. I mean, good on them if they manage it, but the odds are astronomically low.

Namelessguy 8 years ago
They never get tired of sucking every penny out of those stupid fans. Seirously... What are they going to do next? Kingdom Hearts MOBA?

nnn 8 years ago
f2p kingdom hearts but browser based with cards? shouldve been ps2 combat+ fully downloadable game, so not gonna bother with this one

jdrew2000 8 years ago
I would rather see kingdom hearts 3

ShinZz 8 years ago
MMO Free-to-play about Kingdom Hearts ... Bullshit ... I can't believe it !

dagudman 8 years ago
Another card game.... It's not like we had enough of those.

phyniex 8 years ago
i think this could be pretty good i personaly liked KH:CoM

Cacalips 8 years ago
Kill Square Enix with fire

nekodeus 8 years ago
Kingdom Hearts<3 why the hell have I not heard about this? o:
CoM combat doesn't sound too bad, I enjoyed that game too.

Agitated 8 years ago
Hmmm? Am i first???

Warface Origins Season Gives Classic Maps A Bit Of A Makeover

Warface Origins Season Gives Classic Maps A Bit Of A Makeover

The new season kicks off today.

New World Pauses Server Transfers And Preps To Ban Gold Duplicators

New World Pauses Server Transfers And Preps To Ban Gold Duplicators

Sidebar: Three faction PvP is breaking down on some servers.

By Michael Byrne - 16 hours ago
Twitch On Last Week's Security Breach: Passwords, Bank Info Not Exposed

Twitch On Last Week's Security Breach: Passwords, Bank Info Not Exposed

Only a "small fraction" of users were affected.

By Jason Winter - 6 days ago
From Movies, To Games, Back To Movies: Epic Games May Have Plans For A Fortnite Battle Royale Film

The company has reportedly teamed up with ex-Lucasfilm execs.

Halloween Arrives In PC And Console Versions World Of Warships

Halloween Arrives In PC And Console Versions World Of Warships

Take on Rasputin and lead your fleet through the darkness.

By Jason Winter - 2 weeks ago