SmileGate Planning Non-P2W Microtransaction Model For Lost Ark

By QuintLyn Bowers, News Editor August 19, 2016

Korean developer SmileGate has yet to completely outline the payment model for their upcoming game Lost Ark despite the game being in development for a while now. However, recently -- at the Lost Ark media conference -- the game's Head Developer did an interview with Korean game press outlet Inven in which he addressed the issue, stating:

Since the 2014 G-STAR, the subscription model was what we heard the most from the users, but we are afraid to say that it will be difficult for us. We are planning to choose a micro-transaction model. Many users wanted the subscription model, but we saw the reason for that was that they were sick of the P2W model of some games. There are many employees in our team, who love the RPG game genre, so we are very aware of this problem. We are not going to choose this kind of micro-transactions. We will make a proper BM, so the players will be able to enjoy our game. We don’t want to disappoint them either. I just want the users to know that we are trying very hard. (Translated by 2P)

This means that the game will be a free-to-play variety of some sort, but we'll have to wait a while longer to find out exactly what it's going to be.

In addition to this bit of information, SmileGate also dropped an 8 minute gameplay trailer, seen above.

In this article: smilegate, Lost Ark.

70calories 5 years ago
oh yeah I totally forgot about this game I figured it got canned

HiMaster 5 years ago
I know for a fact it IS going to be a pay to win game. How do I know that? Because only thing developers/publishers do is to lie and scam gamers.

Also you have tool in every pay to win game defending it and saying that is not true. " OMG the game is not pay to win, you just have to play 24 hours every day and you will be able be competitive..."

Koutsu 5 years ago
While I'm very glad to hear this, can't really put all my faith behind it until it's finally out. Do hope SmileGate keeps to their word and provides a great F2P experience with a game that many are looking forward to.

ASD 5 years ago
I'm personally sick of the P2W model myself but I'd like to see a b2w model or a f2p model. I hate the micro transactions model but it's better then VIP I guess. But it's hell of alot better then subscription in my opinion I don't wanna pay irl money just to log in and play my favorite game.

Jesus Galindo 5 years ago
I'm still skeptical about the BM they will select

Should they go for B2P or F2P? in either way, both can enter into the P2W phase.

ThatOneNig 5 years ago
A KOREAN MMORPG COMING TO THE WEST? IT WILL BE GREAT I'M SURE. lel

hovsep 5 years ago
there is no point for b2p anymore anyway there will still be hackers,gold spammers, microtransactions,botters

fqnwiun 5 years ago
cool story brah, we all heard that line before ~,|~

Albion Online's 12th Major Update, Into The Fray, Overhauls Magic Staffs, Brings New Portal Towns, And More

The 5v5 PvP gets some love too, featuring two big changes!

By Anthony Jones - 1 week ago
The Cycle: Frontier Is Kicking Off Two-Week Pre-Season Before Its Official Launch In June

And you'll get to keep your hard-earned progress when the game goes live!

By Anthony Jones - 3 days ago
Lineage II Aden's New Update Introduces The Giran Seal System With Limited-Time Crafting Event

The Crafting Event will end on June 1st.

Destiny 2 To Launch New Dungeon On May 27

Destiny 2 To Launch New Dungeon On May 27

Get new legendary armor sets.

CEO of Microsoft Gaming Will Recognize Raven Software's Union, The First AAA Video Game Union, After Acquisition Closes

Although, it still isn't 100% that the $69 billion deal to acquire publisher Activision Blizzard will go through.

By Aspen Pash - 1 day ago
Fear Not, Final Fantasy XI Will Not Be Shutting Down Anytime Soon

Fear Not, Final Fantasy XI Will Not Be Shutting Down Anytime Soon

Instead, players can look forward to the new addition of Prime Weapons.

By Aspen Pash - 1 week ago