Today's National Pet Day, So What's Your Favorite MMO Pet?

Jason Winter
By Jason Winter, News Editor

Archeage Kitty

It seems like there's a "National Day" for just about everything. Here's a list for April, which I assume is for the United States. How did I miss National Deep Dish Pizza Day on the 5th? At least I have National Cheddar Fries Day to look forward to on the 20th.

In the meantime, today, April 11, is National Pet Day. Seeing that got me to thinking about the wide range of MMORPG pets, whether they be animal, humanoid, or "other," and how they've found their way into our hearts -- a tall order, considering their usually iffy pathing AI.

Speaking of bad pathing AI, I suppose my favorite "pet" has to be my captain's herald in The Lord of the Rings Online. She's usually quite useful, even if she can't kill a goat, and occasionally gets me killed. Still, she (or her sister, aka a different skin) has been with me for eight years now and I don't intend to get rid of her any time soon. Whether she'll survive another eight years adventuring with me is another matter entirely.

What's your favorite MMO pet? What epic stories -- good or bad -- do you have to tell of your adventures together?

Jason Winter
Jason Winter, News Editor
Jason Winter is a veteran gaming journalist, he brings a wide range of experience to MMOBomb, including two years with Beckett Media where he served as the editor of the leading gaming magazine Massive Online Gamer. He has also written professionally for several gaming websites.

Player1 6 years ago
My Huras Kubrow from Warframe

ElusiveXTreasure 6 years ago
My brew pup in WoW... but then, who wouldn't like a pet that dispenses alcohol? My alcohol-loving rogue sure does, even named him "Sidecar" after the alcoholic beverage.

Kestas28 6 years ago
Wolf lineage2 original version
The mission was damn hard with the gear you would have and wolf was insanely weak, but damn it if not for challenge why else would we play :D

Merkadis 6 years ago
My favorite pets are almost all in a game called "Megaten" unfortunately it's down currently in west and eu. There is one in "Rappelz" though, super adorabus called Siren. ^^)

Jay 6 years ago
any pet i've ever tamed when i played Star War: Galaxies.

My Cu-pa, one of my first tamed pets and first mount.

The first rancor I tamed, was amazing. Had to fight it's parents tooth and nail to get that baby.

The Kimogila were freaking HUGE-ASS monster in the game, and you could tame one and get a mini version of it. It was really neat to have a mini-version of the scary-giant ass monster that I used to get goosebumps facing following me around as a loyal pet.

And there was another creature, i don't remember it's name but it looked like a gray, hairy Yorkie Terrier. That was my mascot pet. I ALWAYS had him out and he went with me where ever i went.

SWG was the best MMO pet experience I ever had period, and with how open ended the game truely was, I spent my whole experience mastering the beastmaster tree and finding rare and exotic pets. It wasn't just some side thing in a MMO to distract from grinding for a bit, it was a whole experience all it's own. & that's why I loved it.

rickshaw 6 years ago
Mine is a dust mite as I do not need to display it in game.

101 XP Game Portal Releases New MMO "Dragon Blood"

101 XP Game Portal Releases New MMO "Dragon Blood"

A new free-to-play MMORPG has landed on the 101XP game portal.

By QuintLyn Bowers - 6 years ago

Hardcore Mode In Modern Warfare 2 Is Making A Comeback In Upcoming Season 2 Launch

Developer Infinity Ward confirmed its return and will release further details in a blog later.

By Anthony Jones - 1 week ago
Albion Online Asia-Pacific Players Are About To Get A Faster Connection With "East" Server

Sandbox Interactive announced an “Albion East” server today.

Pantheon’s January Newsletter Is All About Lore And Art, With A Few Other Tidbits Thrown In

There’s technical stuff, too.

Breaking From Typical MMORPGs: Looking Back At Broken Ranks One Year Later

💣 Feature | Breaking From Typical MMORPGs: Looking Back At Broken Ranks One Year Later

A lot can change in a year, but has Broken Ranks hit its stride yet?

By Troy Blackburn - 1 week ago
Blizzard Wants To Know How Much Players Would Pay For A Hearthstone Subscription Via Survey

The survey also mentions 3D gameplay where Heroes and minions would come to life on screen.