One Steam User Has Collected Over 1,000 Useless Dead Island: Epidemic Beta Keys -- And Wants More

Jason Winter
By Jason Winter, News Editor April 13, 2017

Dead Island: Epidemic is not a first-person MOBA, new screenshots released 5

Dead Island: Epidemic was a zombie-themed PvE/PvP three-team MOBA by Stunlock Studios and Deep Silver. Despite being pretty much anti-MOBA, I thought it was kinda fun and enjoyed the few times I hopped into its beta.

The game shut down in October of 2015, but its legacy lives on -- in my (and others') Steam inventories. I had half a dozen beta keys for the game that could not be redeemed or deleted, so they sat there, clogging up my inventory, for the past year and a half. I wondered if they would be there forever, part of some cunning marketing ploy to keep a dead game at least partially "alive" -- you know, like a zombie.

Thankfully, one enterprising Steam user came to my rescue. I read the heartwarming (and mildly insane) tale of CookieMisha on Reddit, who enjoyed DI:E so much that she decided to collect those useless beta keys -- both for her own love of the cancelled game and to provide a service to users who wanted to clear them from their inventory. As she puts it,

Right now, these keys hold no value and many of them are still sitting in player inventories, the game is dead after all, completely unplayable. You know, Dead Island Epidemic had not had very bright history, but the community of dedicated players was great, and me, being part of it, I first though I would just collect the keys because I really loved the game, but then it just became a routine and I was happy for every key that came into my hands.

If you have excess Dead Island: Epidemic keys, you can exchange them with Misha via this Steam page.

Jason Winter
Jason Winter, News Editor
Jason Winter is a veteran gaming journalist, he brings a wide range of experience to MMOBomb, including two years with Beckett Media where he served as the editor of the leading gaming magazine Massive Online Gamer. He has also written professionally for several gaming websites.

Arieswar 4 years ago
Not suprising at all if u do a simple search on rare steam keys and gifts u can see people are paying stupid amounts of money.. this so called good person taking ur old beta keys might intend to sell them later basically you been scamed :D

not to worry this has happen me aswell and i have severall old rare gifts in my inventory, because i love how people try to get em off me.

Andew Murczek 4 years ago
BRING BACK Dead Island: Epidemic this game was so much fun .. i just cant figured it out why they shut it down .... BRING IT BACK ... !!!!!!!!!!! NOW

davon8ball 4 years ago
I have 6 open beta keys selling each for 1k :P

Why? 4 years ago
Is this autism in its truest form?

Curst 4 years ago
Finally. Let her deal with all the undead steam keys instead. I wish someone would accept all the other useless items lying around and collecting virtual dust in my inventory. >_>

Misha 4 years ago
Well, thats kinda suprising.
Someone linked me to this article. I did not expect that to happen at all. Thanks to all who decided to contribute to my collection.

BrawlPunk 4 years ago
Complete Greediness from that Stream User.

Explore A Lush Open World With Algorithm-driven Events In Might And Delight's Book Of Travels

"Tiny Multiplayer Online RPG" offers unique journeys.

By Jason Winter - 1 week ago
NCSoft Drops Several Location Trailers For Linage W MMORPG

NCSoft Drops Several Location Trailers For Linage W MMORPG

The videos follow a showcase held a couple of weeks ago.

New World Gameplay - First Look HD (Buy-to-Play)

New World Gameplay - First Look HD (Buy-to-Play)

The long wait after many delays is over and New World is available! The Noobfridge has been dying to get into this one so let's take a little journey with him and do a first look at the game itself, instead of focusing on the long queues the MMORPG has so far! To find out more about New World, check out the game page which includes more info, user reviews, screenshots and additional videos. Don´t forget to subscribe to MMOBomb YouTube channel.

By Michael Byrne - 2 weeks ago
Blizzard Removes More Suggestive Dialogue In Patch 9.1.5 Update

Blizzard Removes More Suggestive Dialogue In Patch 9.1.5 Update

The dialogue is tied to player character jokes and flirts.

By QuintLyn Bowers - 2 weeks ago
Challenge The Cube Queen In The Latest Chapter Of Fortnitemares

Challenge The Cube Queen In The Latest Chapter Of Fortnitemares

Horde Rush, Ariana Grande, and more events also return.

By Jason Winter - 3 days ago
Warface Origins Season Gives Classic Maps A Bit Of A Makeover

Warface Origins Season Gives Classic Maps A Bit Of A Makeover

The new season kicks off today.