PlayStation Plus Not Required For F2P Games On PS4

Michael Dunaway
By Michael Dunaway, News Editor June 12, 2013

Say you want a PlayStation 4, but you don't want to have to buy a PlayStation Plus subscription to play your free-to-play games online. After all, "free" means "free," right? But hasn't it been confirmed that you need a PS Plus account to go online?

Well, turns out the answer is "yes" and "no."

At a roundtable discussion at E3, Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida stated that, while most online games will require a PS Plus subscription, F2P games will not, and the decision will be up to each game's publisher:

"As far as free-to-play games are concerned, it's the publisher's decision whether they put it inside or outside of PS Plus."

Granted, at $50/year, or less than $5/month, PS Plus seems like a good deal overall, but it's always nice to have options.

SOE titles DC Universe Online and PlanetSide 2 are two games that Yoshida confirms will not require PlayStation Plus, and we've heard (though not confirmed) that Warframe will also be among the freebies.

Additionally, video services such as Netflix and Hulu will not require PS Plus.

I don't know about you guys, but the Xbox One is getting further and further back in my rear-view mirror...

Michael Dunaway
Michael Dunaway, News Editor
Michael Dunaway has been part of the MMOBomb team for years and has covered practically every major Free-to-Play title since 2009.

nicksion36 8 years ago
man i hate how you have to have ps plus to play online games... but then again it is cheap and you can get free games.

Lyfe 8 years ago
You guys are complete losers, both the PS4 and the Xbox One suck. If you think about it they aren't very appealing in any way. Also they are both very ugly and disgusting consoles, they look so stupid.

Nuro0o 8 years ago
Really i loved xbox with all my heart, but they ruined it with just one new console... Thanks microsoft :) (has all consoles but loved xbox the most, but not anymore :3)

LordHikaru 8 years ago
Its just the principle of it. If I didn't care for spending the extra money I would of bought another 360, but since I really didn't want to I bought the PS3 instead, plus I got a better deal out of it anyways. In the end I'll probably end up dishing out the 50 bucks but that doesn't stop me from getting my grunts out before then lol.

LordHikaru 8 years ago
Wait, So I'll have to have PS Plus to play my games online with the PS4? I think that just broke my heart. That was the major selling point for me not buying another 360 last November. Well, that just put me on the fence about buying a new console...

zzz 8 years ago
cool ps4 here I come

chris 8 years ago
Might get a ps4. Microsoft screwed me over for the past 7 years it is time for a change to the ps4 goodbye xbox. :[

ModernViking 8 years ago
So far it seems that Sony's doing everything right :)

Vernon 8 years ago
Wow I'm looking forward to this really much !! Can't wait :)

tupas3 8 years ago
But back in the good ol days there was no online stuff. U had to hawe bunch of ppl at your house playing :D

Nomadie 8 years ago
As we can now say good bye to playing free online Multiplayer games for consoles oh but 3 or 4 of them they let you play free. But wait we get DriveClub for free to make up for it! Remember when you could turn your Console on and just play whatever you wished because you paid for it and didn't have to spend extra to play games with friends. This is why I stick to Computers....You guys do know they're doing this because they can, lets make another company look bad but lets charge people to play some games but the people won't care because it's better then the other....That Logic rules now and people fall for it hehe.
Sorry for my random rant, take care every one and I know a lot of you won't like what I said but the truth hurts.

Rah 8 years ago
I think Xbox will have something up there sleeves for the release of the Xbox One. I don't think they will let Playstation walk all over them like they are doing now.

Wait wait wait 8 years ago
..One of the so called "best things" you PS fanboys trumpeted was that PS3 had free online..and yet now that you need to pay 50 bucks a year (the same price as Xbox Live Gold) you're suddenly okay with that? I absolutely love the hypocritical paradigm shift you PS fanboys are trying to pull. So it turns out you were just talking out your ass the entire time in a desperate effort to hold something--anything-- above the 360 fanboys heads. Pathetic.

Akshansh 8 years ago
Thank god dont pay to play free to play lol

Gamer X 8 years ago
well first I was interested in ps4 and then heared about they had to have ps plus account wasn't really interested then and now this I think I am interested again but I wish they will release something f2p on ps vita like warframe as they said they will make most of the ps4 titles on ps vita ... so yeah that would be cool

Extasist 8 years ago
i think less then 5$ a month is really good deal just pay 50$ for whole year and you wont need to think about that at all. if more exclusive games will appear on ps4 (P2P/F2P) i will definitely get it.

Snowmonekey111 8 years ago
Mounted!

Sir Dapper Duckington Esquire Returns In Trove’s Spring Fling Event

Sir Dapper Duckington Esquire Returns In Trove’s Spring Fling Event

The event features new activities in addition to some old favorites.

By QuintLyn Bowers - 2 weeks ago
Resident Evil Re:Verse Is Apparently Alive And Might Be Coming To Stadia

Resident Evil Re:Verse Is Apparently Alive And Might Be Coming To Stadia

Release dates for PS4, PC, and Xbox are still set to 2021, but...

By Anthony Jones - 1 week ago
Lost Ark Blog Post Teaches Players Raid And Dungeon Etiquette

Lost Ark Blog Post Teaches Players Raid And Dungeon Etiquette

Twitch streamers Saintone and ZealAmbitions offer tips and tricks to players.

By QuintLyn Bowers - 11 hours ago
Destiny 2 To Launch New Dungeon On May 27

Destiny 2 To Launch New Dungeon On May 27

Get new legendary armor sets.

By QuintLyn Bowers - 1 day ago
Wizard101’s European Servers Begin Transfer To KingsIsle

Wizard101’s European Servers Begin Transfer To KingsIsle

The transfer from Gameforge's service should speed things up for players.