If you've ever played a match of League of Legends you've likely already found out that the community can be...well let's just say "less than friendly" sometimes. Personally I know this all too well but we'll just say I deserve most of the comments directed at me for being terrible at the game.
Riot has managed to make some strides towards an improved community over the last year though. We've seen the banning of some pretty high profile players and the implementation of a few new tools to help weed out toxic behavior. Has it been enough though?
Looking at a recent post from the team at Riot seems to indicate that they are very happy with their progress, but aren't quite finished yet.
According to Riot, "As of 11/13/2014, 95% of active players in 2014 have never received a punishment of any kind. The vast majority of you have not received chat restrictions, ranked restrictions, game bans or permanent bans this year!"
Now, I don't exactly agree with the assertion that a 5% punishment rate is equal to 5% of the community being a bit toxic (that's a bit like saying out of everyone selling illegal drugs 5% have been sentenced to jail time therefore the other 95% are totally upstanding citizens) but I guess it's a push in the right direction for a game that certainly needed a push.
As the 2014 season comes to a close, players on the up-and-up will be receiving a 4-win IP boost. Riot has also added an enhanced version of the LeaveBuster system to the PBE to tackle other community concerns
Since 5% means you'll likely come across a bad apple every 2 games, have the strides forward been enough for you? Let me know below!
- Legends Of Runeterra 2023 Roadmap Announces New Quarterly Content Cycles, Offering A Variety Of Updates Each Month
- Always Online Podcast: Did Redfall and ESO MMO Presentations Deliver, Hearthstone & A Sub, And The Day Before's Mess Ep 461
- Top 5 Free to Play Weekly Stories - League of Legends Hacked, Code Held Ransom Ep 541
About the Author
Mike “Magicman” Byrne has been a part of the MMOBomb family for years and serves as the site’s current Editor-in-Chief. His love for MMOs and gaming in general has led him to covering games for numerous websites including Gamebreaker TV and XIV Nation where he proudly displays his fanboy flag for FFXIV:ARR.
PlanetSide 2 PS4 Beta Not Far Off
We heard about it over a year ago (yes, it's been that long!...By Michael Byrne - 8 years ago
You May Enjoy
World of Warcraft Classic Tech Lead Leaves Blizzard, Protesting “Stack Ranking” Employee Evaluation System
The system reportedly requires that approximately 5% of employees get a low ranking.By QuintLyn Bowers - 1 week ago
New ArcheAge: Unchained Fresh Start Server Will Ease Gear Progression, Tweak Boosting, And Increase Item Drop Rate
The developers stated the server will include many improvements based on community feedback.By Anthony Jones - 4 days ago
Blizzard Wants To Know How Much Players Would Pay For A Hearthstone Subscription Via Survey
The survey also mentions 3D gameplay where Heroes and minions would come to life on screen.By Aspen Pash - 6 days ago
Albion Online Asia-Pacific Players Are About To Get A Faster Connection With "East" Server
Sandbox Interactive announced an “Albion East” server today.By QuintLyn Bowers - 1 week ago
Yoshi-P: If Investigations Show Mods Used In FFXIV Ultimate Clear, "I Will Not Recognize That Team As True World First"
From mods in Ultimate, to leaked footage, to punishments, Yoshi-P isn't happy.By Michael Byrne - 4 hours ago
UPDATED: A Halo Infinite Survey From Microsoft Feels An Awful Lot Like It’s Throwing 343 Industries Under The Bus
The survey comes after layoffs at the developer.By QuintLyn Bowers - 22 hours ago