Riot To Retire League of Legends' Dominion Mode Feb. 22

Jason Winter
By Jason Winter, News Editor Posted:

League Dominion Quarry

Long-time MMOBombers might know that I have a love-hate -- no, wait, make that hate-hate -- relationship with MOBAs. That makes me a little odd, when so many people love so many of them.

What makes me even odder is that my favorite MOBA experience is in the world's biggest MOBA... but with its least-popular mode. And soon, I won't even have that.

Riot Games today announced that it would be removing the capture-point-style Dominion play mode and the Crystal Scar map from League of Legends on Feb. 22. According to the blog post, only 0.5% of LoL players play Dominion, leading to long queue times and unevenly matches. Additionally, by focusing on Summoner's Rift as the core LoL experience, that left less time to fix Dominion's issues and address balance in the mode, leading to it becoming even less popular. Finally, the decision was made to pull the plug, in just under two weeks' time.

I can understand the decision, and it makes sense for Riot, but it's still going to be a little sad to see Dominion go. Do you have fond memories like I do? Or am I just being silly and nostalgic for something that was never that good?

In this article: League of Legends, Riot Games.

Jason Winter
Jason Winter, News Editor
Jason Winter is a veteran gaming journalist, he brings a wide range of experience to MMOBomb, including two years with Beckett Media where he served as the editor of the leading gaming magazine Massive Online Gamer. He has also written professionally for several gaming websites.

GamingMaster 7 years ago
I stopped playing 3 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. For some weird reason my accounted had chat restrictions even though I rarely speak in games and specially when playing a close combat game that requires a lot of attention..

Later I found out that people get chat banned for saying the word AFK when probably saying : "He went AFK and left me to solo as support" :/

Riot refuses to look into it so I just quit the game...

I also don't understand how people can play in the same map over and over again...

Koga 7 years ago
i had a lot of fun with it. this past year i haven't been ranking so good on that map 1st 2nd 3rd... but i used to rank 1st 2nd and 3rd every single game there with an incredibly high win rate. i wish they would have allowed ranked plays on that map. i coulda made it big there. the OG map is ok and getting better and better. but upwards of an hour locked into a game no pause button cant step away to pee or get a refill kinda sucks. we still play.i agree with adrian87 tho they should rotate it along with poroking hexakill and others. but i doubt they will. doms were great tho que up and 20mins later reading the win screen. was nice.

Preciel 7 years ago
i never understood how they could play one map a thousand times not get bored of it lol

Todoran 7 years ago
░░░█▄░░▀▄░░░░▄▀▐░█░░░░░
░░░█▐▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀░░▐░█░░░░░
░░▐█▐▄░░▀░░░░░░▐░█▄▄░░░
░░▀▀░▄MOBA ░░▐▄▄▄▀░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Dio 7 years ago
Rip Dominion, may your hide and seek bullshit maps exist in smite.

Narakuku 7 years ago
As long as AAA games dont start coming with a single mode and a single map i dont care what happens in LoL.

Todoran 7 years ago
MOBA has 2 game maps..... because "mobas are made and played by smart persons" not...... decides to dellete 1 map because: READ ABOVE!

adrian87 7 years ago
I probably didn't touch this mode in more then a year, but i don't think they should be removing it completely from LoL. They should do the same like with ultra rapid fire, one for all, hexakill and the others and have it come back from time to time.

David 7 years ago
This was the only thing that got me to keep playing League. Dominion was fun and relaxing. It was simple yet incredibly intense. Especially those moments where you win by 1. It's unfortunate to see this game mode hit the scrapyard. Maybe someone should develop a game purely focused on this game mode?

Blade & Soul's Rising Waters Content Expansion Hits Today

Blade & Soul's Rising Waters Content Expansion Hits Today

Blade & Soul's latest content update lands on the servers today, bringing with it new levels, new events, and more.

By QuintLyn Bowers - 7 years ago

💣 Feature | PTR PREVIEW: I Checked Out New World's Upcoming Expansion: Rise Of The Angry Earth

There's a new weapon, zone, and expedition, plus mounts!

By Matthew D'Onofrio - 1 week ago
Albion Online Announces Released Date For “Wild Blood” Update

Albion Online Announces Released Date For “Wild Blood” Update

New weapons, new open-world features, and more.

Throne and Liberty Combat No Longer "Static" Says Producer In New Letter, Reveals Gameplay Preview Of Changes

That's right. Attacks are now allowed while moving. Such innovation.

By Matthew D'Onofrio - 1 week ago
Everything We Learned About The Elder Scrolls Online's Endless Archive And Update 40 During Today's Livestream

There's a ton of new awesome coming to ESO.

By Troy Blackburn - 6 days ago
Marvel's Avengers End Of Support Date Nears, Bidding Farewell With 90% Discount

Marvel's Avengers End Of Support Date Nears, Bidding Farewell With 90% Discount

After delisting, the game will still be accessible for solo and multiplayer play.

By Matthew D'Onofrio - 2 days ago
Titanfall 2’s Multiplayer Is Back, And So Are Players, As An Unexpected Fix Hits Servers

A surprise update has it working properly.