The Wall Street Journal's Kristen Grind is reporting that Activision Blizzard has cut over three dozen employees from its work force in light of the sexual harassment accusations that have plagued the company for months. The WSJ article also said that Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick ordered information on the personnel moves, which was to be released by the company before the 2021 holidays, to be delayed until after the New Year, so as not to reflect poorly on the company.
In addition, Grind reported that there have been about 700 reports of misconduct filed by employees since July, though some are duplicate reports regarding the same incident.
In October, we learned that 20 employees had been let go and a further 20 had been disciplined by the company. Those numbers have now ballooned to 37 and 44 respectively, a spokesperson for Activision Blizzard confirmed. The spokesperson has denied the figure of 700 disciplinary reports, as well as the claim that Kotick delayed the issuing of the statistics.
To supplement the article, which is behind a paywall, Grind tweeted out that Activision Blizzard is facing "intense pressure from shareholders/partners/employees" and that one of its investors "sent a letter to Activision's board with a list of demands," with dire financial consequences if they weren't met.
Also new info on the shareholder pressure: One investor, Fidelity International, sent a letter to Activision's board with a list of demands and warned it could divest or join w/ other shareholders if they're not met. NY Comptroller also has written. Board has stood by Kotick.
— Kirsten Grind (@KirstenGrind) January 17, 2022
The board of directors has continued to back Kotick, despite his apparent proliferation of harassing behavior at the company (also reported by Grind), and pressure from shareholders and half a dozen state treasurers to take significant action. Xbox chief Phil Spencer also recently said that his company would be changing how it does "certain things" with Activision Blizzard, something he hinted at in November.
About the Author
Jason Winter is a veteran gaming journalist, he brings a wide range of experience to MMOBomb, including two years with Beckett Media where he served as the editor of the leading gaming magazine Massive Online Gamer. He has also written professionally for several gaming websites.
Sea Of Thieves Celebrates Its Community With The First Ever Community Day
The event is included as part of the game’s fifth season.By QuintLyn Bowers - 1 year ago
You May Enjoy
Skull And Bones Pre-Orders Have Suddenly Been Auto-Refunded On The Playstation Store
While pre-orders can no longer be made, the game can still be added to a user's wishlist.By Aspen Pash - 6 days ago
Fortnite Creative’s Unreal Editor Now Delayed Until March
The long-awaited game mode is pushed back once more.By Aspen Pash - 4 days ago
Pantheon’s January Newsletter Is All About Lore And Art, With A Few Other Tidbits Thrown In
There’s technical stuff, too.By QuintLyn Bowers - 1 day ago
Embers Adrift Free Play Weekend Is Under Way, Guides Up For Some "Starter" Help
Play for free through Sunday using your existing account.By QuintLyn Bowers - 1 day ago
💣 Feature | 10 Mobile MMORPGs You Can Try In 2023 For Android And iOS
Looking for an MMORPG to enjoy on your phone? Here are 10 great options to play on the go.By Anthony Jones - 3 days ago
Playtesters Share Possibility Of Loot Box System In EA's Game Skate, Company Responds
Of course, anything could change from now until the game’s launch.By Aspen Pash - 3 days ago