League of Legends and Crossfire Publish Lockbox Odds In China; New Law Goes Into Effect May 1

Jason Winter
By Jason Winter, News Editor
Share:

League of Legends Hextech

Remember that upcoming law in China that would force games to reveal the odds of getting certain loot in lockboxes? Well, "upcoming" is almost "now"; the law goes into effect on May 1, and a few games have already revealed their odds to the public.

Chinese internet giant Tencent owns League of Legends maker Riot Games and publishes Crossfire in China. It's gotten the jump on publishing its odds, and according to translations from PCGamesN, they're ... rare but not too crazy? It looks like the most rare loot in Crossfire comes up 3% of the time, while League's gemstones pop up in 4% of Hextech loot boxes.

Both of these results come from potentially imperfect translations, so they shouldn't be taken as 100% accurate, but they do seem to correspond with what the community believes was the case. There's also no guarantee that odds for Chinese lockboxes correspond perfectly with odds for lockboxes available in other regions, but once that information is out, it would be pretty hard for developers to convince players that they're different.

As next week progresses, we could see other major free-to-play games that operate in China, such as Hearthstone and Guild Wars 2, reveal the odds in their card packs and lockboxes. It should make for an interesting few days, at the very least. We'll track as many as we can, but if you see published odds for any game's lockboxes that we don't have on the site, drop us a line.

Share:
Got a news tip? Contact us directly here!

About the Author

Jason Winter
Jason Winter, News Editor
Jason Winter is a veteran gaming journalist, he brings a wide range of experience to MMOBomb, including two years with Beckett Media where he served as the editor of the leading gaming magazine Massive Online Gamer. He has also written professionally for several gaming websites.

Discussion (3)

PuddingBear 5 years ago
This should be a Law everywhere. Its like buying lottery tickets except you get In Game items.

poop 5 years ago
You have a 99% chance to get the item...............Rolls the 1% fail.

Trumbles 5 years ago
I feel like any game that has a separate version for china will just alter drop-rates in only that version, to keep everybody else in the dark.


Read Next

Dropzone's Newest Mode Is The Most Popular Yet

Dropzone's Newest Mode Is The Most Popular Yet

Dropzone developer Sparkypants revealed this week that the game's most requested mode is -- probably not surprisingly -- the most played mode.

By QuintLyn Bowers - 5 years ago

You May Enjoy

Yes, The Sims 5 Will Have Multiplayer, But Don't Expect It To Be An MMO

Yes, The Sims 5 Will Have Multiplayer, But Don't Expect It To Be An MMO

The game will be available on both mobile and PC devices.

By Aspen Pash - 3 days ago
Legends Of Runeterra 2023 Roadmap Announces New Quarterly Content Cycles, Offering A Variety Of Updates Each Month

Legends Of Runeterra 2023 Roadmap Announces New Quarterly Content Cycles, Offering A Variety Of Updates Each Month

2023 is shaping up to be a year of new additions and changes to content distribution.

By Anthony Jones - 4 days ago
Go Figure, Someone’s Leaked The Final Phase Of FFXIV's The Omega Protocol Ultimate

Go Figure, Someone’s Leaked The Final Phase Of FFXIV's The Omega Protocol Ultimate

The World’s First Race just got a lot faster.

By QuintLyn Bowers - 1 week ago
Tower Of Fantasy Introduces A New Special Forces Agent In Next Week's Update

Tower Of Fantasy Introduces A New Special Forces Agent In Next Week's Update

Alyss, codename M-sec 2000 can transform into a fairy for infiltration purposes.

By QuintLyn Bowers - 1 week ago
Albion Online Asia-Pacific Players Are About To Get A Faster Connection With "East" Server

Albion Online Asia-Pacific Players Are About To Get A Faster Connection With "East" Server

Sandbox Interactive announced an “Albion East” server today.

By QuintLyn Bowers - 1 week ago