Feeling Old Today? Anarchy Online Is 20

By QuintLyn Bowers, News Editor

Well, here's some good news. While a lot of games come and go, making a lot of noise as they launch, do some good things, do some bad things, and (sometimes) die. But other games just kinda go along, doing their own thing, not gaining quite as much press attention, and then you turn around and the game's been chugging along for two decades. That's the case for Funcom's sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, which launched on June 27, 2001.

In honor of the big anniversary, Funcom is running a few special events. Of course there are daily login rewards. There are also special encounters featuring the Tinker -- who can be found in the Newland Desert and needs help with eliminating Desert Nomads. The Desert Rider event has returned too. And, the Big Trox Loren Warr outdoor raid boss is back as well.

In addition, there's a special tribute video available -- for those who'd like to take a look back at the history of Anarchy Online.

In this article: Funcom, anarchy online.

ninetenduh 1 year ago
20 Years? Damn, anarchy Online was my Second MMO I ever tried, first was dark age of Camelot, i think I tried Anarchy Online back in 2003/04, I only had a trial, but the game intrigued me with the Sci Fi style which was the complete opposite to Dark Age of Camelot. Back then I had no PC of my own, so all I had was my Parents PC and that only for an hour at max. Good to see some Games can last this long in this extremely quickly changing MMO market where games shutdown quicker than they can be released.

Nathan P Pryborowski 1 year ago
Can't play without reactivating subs is silly for this game.

HecAcats 1 year ago
until they remove the sub requirement won't be coming back to them trying to label it free to play when its not is just trash and one of the reason people end up leaving the game.

Just Some Guy 1 year ago
I still feel like come back to AO from time to time, while so many other online games I've played, and quit since I would never want to touch again. I'd like to come back to it, but I know I shouldn't, as then I'd never get anything else done.

Arkanpher 1 year ago
I'm older than this game, so?

rickshaw 1 year ago
maybe if you mention pong, asteroids, space invaders. breakout, and a little later tron disc.but not even then...lol

Cloak 1 year ago
Nope. Never felt better. Matter of fact feel as young as a buck.

And never heard of this game.

New Store And Old Legendaries Coming To Destiny 2

New Store And Old Legendaries Coming To Destiny 2

Bungie is making it easier to spend money in Destiny 2.

By Jason Winter - 1 year ago

Redfall Answers Persistent Online and Xbox Gold Questions In New FAQ

Redfall Answers Persistent Online and Xbox Gold Questions In New FAQ

Is always online and Xbox Gold required?

By Troy Blackburn - 4 days ago
Better New Player Experiences And Desire For Feedback Take The Lead In Rogue Company's Plans For 2023

It's a new year with new things in store for Rogue Company.

By Troy Blackburn - 2 days ago
Blizzard’s Bringing The Original Overwatch’s Credits Currency Back To Overwatch 2 In Season 3

Players will be able to purchase epic and legendary-tier skins with them.

Warframe Dev Stream Announces New Bug-Frame, "Star Days" Event, And Continues Prep For 10th Anniversary And Cross Save

Known as Citrine, the Bug-Frame will be the 52nd Warframe coming to all platforms soon.

By Anthony Jones - 1 week ago
FFXIV’s Director & Producer Naoki Yoshida Says He’s “Really Looking Forward” To The MMORPG Blue Protocol

Several experienced people from the FFXIV Team are also now working on Blue Protocol.

By Aspen Pash - 1 week ago
SWTOR Is Bringing Back Two In-Game Events For February

SWTOR Is Bringing Back Two In-Game Events For February

Love is most certainly not in the air in this galaxy.