Defiance TV Show Not Renewed, But Game Will Continue

Jason Winter
By Jason Winter, News Editor

Defiance Datak Tarr

As news came down over the weekend that SyFy wouldn't be renewing Defiance for a fourth season, my first thought was, "Dang." After a bit of a rough start, the show improved noticeably in its second season, and I'd heard the third was pretty good, too. "Heard," because all previous viewing outlets, like Hulu, insisted I have a cable subscription before I could watch it on their site, which kind of invalidates the need for Hulu in the first place. But that's a rant for another time...

What does that mean for the Defiance MMO? No worries, says Trion Worlds. CEO Scott Hartsman confirmed that

"As for the game and its future, Defiance is Trion's IP and the game will continue exactly as before. The show has always been a fantastic and interesting partner, but the two were always meant to be able to stand on their own, which is why the show was primarily set in St. Louis and the game in the SF Bay Area."

So there you go. The game will remain unchanged (and pretty good, in my opinion) for the foreseeable future, with new content, new stories, and so on, for as long as Trion sees fit to publish it. You can also read the official statement on the Defiance website.

Now, if only some enterprising MMO developer had been around when Firefly was being mismanaged into the ground...

In this article: Trion Worlds, Defiance.

Jason Winter
Jason Winter, News Editor
Jason Winter is a veteran gaming journalist, he brings a wide range of experience to MMOBomb, including two years with Beckett Media where he served as the editor of the leading gaming magazine Massive Online Gamer. He has also written professionally for several gaming websites.

Brochim 7 years ago
I loved playing this game and spent hours list in it. After it went f2p even with a sub the game became to much of a grind.

chefmadness 7 years ago
Watch it on coke & popcorn u don't need a sub or cable.

BurDemBOddies 7 years ago
To be honest that last episode was an ending if I ever saw one. His story would no longer take in Defiance so it would be silly to continue under that name honestly. It was even stated that his dream was to be able to fly a ship in space and move through the stars which would be the ending of "Defiance" which was good. I wouldn't mind if they come back though under a new name to see if he was able to find them a new home or not something small just to put everything to rest, but the way it was ended will have me thinking otherwise as the ending was to be taken as "how you will imagine it." and go no further with it. In the end it was a good run for it and it got a better ending than most syfy shows ever get.

alex 7 years ago
awwww... i actually enjoyed watching defiance...

ElusiveXTreasure 7 years ago
I am very sad to see the show go, it was the first really engaging sci-fi show that I had followed in a very long time, but I did feel that the ending was well done and am elated that the game will continue. I am not the best at shooters but I have always enjoyed this one.

Nexon To Sell NCSoft Shares Which Lost $153 Million In Value Over Three Years

Nexon To Sell NCSoft Shares Which Lost $153 Million In Value Over Three Years

In June 2012, Nexon purchased a 14.7% minority stake in NCSoft, paying $688 million and becoming NCSoft's largest shareholder.

By Jason Winter - 7 years ago

RUMOR: Insider Believes Rumbleverse Will Reportedly Shut Down At The End Of February

Take a hefty grain of salt with this one.

By Anthony Jones - 1 week ago
MMORPG "The Quinfall" Is Promising A Lot Including "Adapting Real Life Into A 'Meta' World"

That isn't the only claim the new company behind the title is boasting though...

Yoshi-P: If Investigations Show Mods Used In FFXIV Ultimate Clear, "I Will Not Recognize That Team As True World First"

From mods in Ultimate, to leaked footage, to punishments, Yoshi-P isn't happy.

By Michael Byrne - 1 week ago
Among Us Roadmap Says It's Time For A New Map This Year

Among Us Roadmap Says It's Time For A New Map This Year

They aren't spilling the beans just yet, but the 5th map is coming.

By Troy Blackburn - 2 days ago
Dauntless’s Saint’s Bond Is Back And Filled With More Love Than Ever

Dauntless’s Saint’s Bond Is Back And Filled With More Love Than Ever

Who needs a Player 2 when you have NPCs to get close to?

Yes, The Sims 5 Will Have Multiplayer, But Don't Expect It To Be An MMO

Yes, The Sims 5 Will Have Multiplayer, But Don't Expect It To Be An MMO

The game will be available on both mobile and PC devices.

By Aspen Pash - 1 week ago