NCSoft has released its Q1 2020 financial results, and things are looking up for its PC games while looking down for mobile. Mobile revenue is down heavily from last year's Q1: 553 bKRW to 325 bKRW. NCSoft isn't worried, however, saying on the conference call that traffic numbers are still good in Lineage 2 and Lineage 2 M, and an anniversary update -- read: an opportunity for monetization -- will be due at the end of Q2 or early Q3.
On the other side of things, total PC game revenue was up 6% from Q4 2020, and 14% year-over-year. Aion is looking particularly good over the past two quarters, rising from 8.453 billion South Korean won (bKRW) in Q3 to 18.810 bKRW in Q4 and 23.386 bKRW in Q1. That's a 276% increase in six months, while the other PC games experienced only small upward or downward trends.
Highlights from the conference call include:
- Blade & Soul 2 is still on track for a first-half 2021 release in Korea. That's been slightly delayed due to having to work from home.
- NCSoft is targeting younger players with B&S 2, as it's found many of the first game's players are "in their 40s and 50s." Tests are even drawing in a number of players from Lineage games.
- In terms of a global launch, NCSoft will endeavor to make changes to appeal to a wider audience, whether that includes a change in business model or other factors. "I think that this is very different from the past, because we're not simply taking what we did in Korea, changing the language, and taking it overseas," a spokesperson said.
- Due to both COVID-related issues and the desire to space out releases, mobile game Aion 2 won't launch before the end of the year.
- NCSoft thinks it will take "two to three years" for the new consoles to achieve sufficient market penetration, which means that any prospective console game releases won't be coming from the company for a while.
You can check out the NCSoft financials on the company's investor relations page.
About the Author
Jason Winter is a veteran gaming journalist, he brings a wide range of experience to MMOBomb, including two years with Beckett Media where he served as the editor of the leading gaming magazine Massive Online Gamer. He has also written professionally for several gaming websites.
Godzilla And Kong Arrive In World Of Warships
The movie may be mostly out of theaters, but the marketing deal between Wargaming and Warner Bros.By Jason Winter - 1 year ago
You May Enjoy
Go Figure, Someone’s Leaked The Final Phase Of FFXIV's The Omega Protocol Ultimate
The World’s First Race just got a lot faster.By QuintLyn Bowers - 1 week ago
Turtle Rock Studios Is Done Developing New Content For Back 4 Blood And Ready To Focus On Its Next Project
All things must come to an end. Particularly when you don’t have the resources to maintain it.By QuintLyn Bowers - 4 days ago
Yes, The Sims 5 Will Have Multiplayer, But Don't Expect It To Be An MMO
The game will be available on both mobile and PC devices.By Aspen Pash - 5 days ago
Lost Ark Will Add New Rowen Continent In February And Release Artist Class Ahead Of Time Come March
With the February update, the devs will throw in events to celebrate the game's anniversary.By Anthony Jones - 6 days ago
Gameplay Of The Day Before Is Coming Sooner Than You Might Think, As In Tomorrow
We'll soon get to see if The Day Before lives up to the hype.By Troy Blackburn - 5 days ago
Ashes Of Creation Shares New Updates On Its Tank Archetype Along With Live Game Footage
Players also got a look at brand-new character art updates.By Aspen Pash - 1 week ago