Nexon Had "Record-Breaking" Q1 In Korea, Game Development "On Track" Despite COVID-19

Jason Winter
By Jason Winter, News Editor
Share:

Nexon had a "record-breaking quarter in Korea" through the first three months of 2020, again showing that whatever issues many segments of society are having with the COVID-19 situation, the video game industry seems to be doing pretty well for itself. "Shelter at home" has never offered this many entertainment options.

(In fact, one of the primary bullet points of the investor presentation is "Game development on track with no major disruption from COVID-19," which isn't too surprising, considering how well South Korea has managed the crisis.)

As expected, the highlights are mostly for games in Korea, which enjoyed a 78% year-over-year increase from Q1 2019. China's revenues were "within expected range," and the two countries overall accounted for 88% of Nexon's revenue in the quarter. The other 12%, broken up into Japan, NA/Europe, and the rest, were all driven by MapleStory M (in Japan) and the PC MapleStory (everywhere else). Japan's revenue segment is very small, however, and unlike NCSoft, most of Nexon's revenue -- nearly 80% -- is still coming from PC gaming.

That's something the company might be looking to change in the future, with mobile versions of Dungeon&Fighter, KartRider Rush+, FIFA, Final Fantasy XI, Mabinogi, and Dynasty Warriors 9 in the pipeline. In fact, 10 of 13 upcoming titles are for mobile devices, with two of the other three having a mobile companion game: KartRider: Drift and Project BBQ, a PC 3-D online action RPG based on the Dungeon&Fighter universe. The third is Embark Studios' project, which is the only Nexon-owned title I'm really looking forward to -- especially with MapleStory 2's imminent demise later this month.

Share:
Got a news tip? Contact us directly here!

About the Author

Jason Winter
Jason Winter, News Editor
Jason Winter is a veteran gaming journalist, he brings a wide range of experience to MMOBomb, including two years with Beckett Media where he served as the editor of the leading gaming magazine Massive Online Gamer. He has also written professionally for several gaming websites.

Discussion (0)


Read Next

Valorant Dev Updates: Peeker's Advantage, Solo Queue, And Vanguard Conflicts

Valorant Dev Updates: Peeker's Advantage, Solo Queue, And Vanguard Conflicts

Riot has a trio of issues to address in this week's Valorant developer blog.

By Jason Winter - 2 years ago

You May Enjoy

Gaijin Entertainment Partners With Artstorm To Create PC Version Of Modern Warships

Gaijin Entertainment Partners With Artstorm To Create PC Version Of Modern Warships

This is the “first result” of the new collaboration.

By QuintLyn Bowers - 4 days ago
RUMOR: Insider Believes Rumbleverse Will Reportedly Shut Down At The End Of February

RUMOR: Insider Believes Rumbleverse Will Reportedly Shut Down At The End Of February

Take a hefty grain of salt with this one.

By Anthony Jones - 1 week ago
Dauntless Developer Phoenix Labs Is Independent Once Again

Dauntless Developer Phoenix Labs Is Independent Once Again

The company is now self-owned and going private.

By Troy Blackburn - 3 days ago
Pokémon Trading Card Game Online Will Halt Card Set Development

Pokémon Trading Card Game Online Will Halt Card Set Development

The development will officially end on March 1, 2023.

By Aspen Pash - 6 days ago
Can You Survive Dysterra's Free Steam Weekend? It Kicks Off Tomorrow

Can You Survive Dysterra's Free Steam Weekend? It Kicks Off Tomorrow

Survival shooter Dysterra is giving players a free weekend to check out the game.

By Troy Blackburn - 6 days ago
Dating Sim, One-Punch Man, And New Map Coming To Overwatch 2

Dating Sim, One-Punch Man, And New Map Coming To Overwatch 2

Fall in love with Genji or Mercy in the new Overwatch 2 Dating Sim.

By Troy Blackburn - 1 day ago