Mechwarrior Online honors young pilots passing with charity mech

Michael Dunaway
By Michael Dunaway, News Editor July 24, 2013

Fair warning guys, this story hits right in the feels.

It all started back in May, when the Mechwarrior Online community learned one of their youngest pilots -a 5 year old named Sarah Parries- had passed away from inoperable brain cancer. Rallying together, the community urged Piiranha Games to consider making a Mech in her honor and donating all the proceeds for cancer research.

Now just a few short months later, Piranha has made good on their promise and unveiled "Sarah's Jenner". The Jenner, complete with medium lasers and streak SRMs happened to be Sarah's favorite mech since she enjoyed the speed of the mech and the lock on of the SRMs.

The new JR7-D[S] mech comes with a 10% XP boost, a custom skin and cost $10. Just as the community requested, Piranha will be delivering all the proceeds of the sale to the Canadian Cancer Society. Currently the proceeds collected total more than $40,000.

Players will have until August 20th to purchase the mech after which it will be discontinued. The mech comes with its own personal mech bay and cannot be sold or gifted.

More information including how to purchase Sarah's Jenner can be found here.

Michael Dunaway
Michael Dunaway, News Editor
Michael Dunaway has been part of the MMOBomb team for years and has covered practically every major Free-to-Play title since 2009.

chefmadness 9 years ago
I don't play the game but I think MechWarrior Online did the most Awesome thing I have ever seen that any PC game has ever done! Giving back is so Awesome & it shows they aren't money, grubbing, scumbags like EA & PWE, just to name a few game company's out there that want you to pay for everything & give nothing back. R.I.P. SARA.

Rob Tien 9 years ago
I haven't played in a long time but this story makes me want to get involved. I commend the devs for being so supportive! I'll buy this mech even if I don't play. Its a great cause after all :)

cryght 9 years ago
If only weapon toggling werent so confusing...

Gamer X 9 years ago
these feelings .. I want to play mechwarrior now I wish I could help..

Golgo28 9 years ago
That's so sad to hear,someone so young dieing from any kind of cancer.Kudos to the devs for not only doing something as a memorial.But also giving the proceeds to charity so one day no more children have to die from cancer at such a young age.

Hawke 9 years ago
Rest in piece Sarrah you will never be forgotten

Kawaiido 9 years ago
Real class act. Bravo.

Okofire 9 years ago
First game what does Charity :3
Ahhhh that explosion of feelings.

Kiehl 9 years ago
I can't hold all these things I'm feeling.

SneezE 9 years ago
damn that was seriously a spear to the heart, T^T awesome what piranha did in her name :]

Apex Legends: Hunted Battle Pass Launches Today With New Legendary Skins

Apex Legends: Hunted Battle Pass Launches Today With New Legendary Skins

Earn new themed rewards like Legendary skins for Caustic and Wraith.

Tower Of Fantasy Pre-Download And Character Creation Now Available Ahead Of Tomorrow's Launch

Pre-load the game and get started on character customization.

A Closer Look At World Of Warcraft: Dragonflight’s City, Valdrakken

A Closer Look At World Of Warcraft: Dragonflight’s City, Valdrakken

The Dragonflights work hard alongside their allies to reclaim their homeland.

By Aspen Pash - 1 week ago
Elyon’s Newest Class, Soulbringer, Arrives On September 7

Elyon’s Newest Class, Soulbringer, Arrives On September 7

The perfect class for those who want a more versatile playstyle.

NCSoft Q2 2022: Financial Report Reveals Drop In Revenue, Mobile Titles Decline, And Throne And Liberty Is Delayed

Guild Wars 2 seems to be doing really well, though!

By Anthony Jones - 2 days ago
Turtle Rock Studios Dropped A Release Date And Sneak Peek Of Back 4 Blood's "Children Of The Worm" Expansion

Time to get back to cleanin' these cult-ridden streets.

By Anthony Jones - 1 week ago